Just how important are manual safeties to defensive shooters? Is there a reason why many self-defense handguns do not have manual safeties but rifles and shotguns do have them? Thank you to our Warrior of the Week for bringing up these questions.
We have yet another example of a tourniquet being used to save a life. This incident just happened in Maryland. Tune in to hear what the Physician-in-Chief of a major trauma center has to say about the use of tourniquets by citizens.
For many years we have recommended the Fundamental Four; lethal, sharp, bright, medical. However, there are those in our world who would deny you the ability to carry the four. What can we do to address this challenge? We have some suggestions for you.
Thanks for being a part of SOTG! We hope you find value in the message we share. If you’ve got any questions, here are some options to contact us:
Enjoy the show! And remember…
You’re a Beginner Once, a Student For Life!
Topics Covered During This Episode:
- How can you have Fundamental 4 in non-permissive environments?
- Always Armed Kit – ShopSOTG.com
- Warrior of the Week
- Go to www.swatfuel.com and use Promo Code “SOTG”
- TOPIC: Why does the self-defense community discourage manual safeties on handguns, but the same people never discourage the use of rifles and shotguns that have manual safeties for self-defense? – Quinton from Norman, OK
- Get a Free Bottle of 9mm+P | Question Post in The Liberty Mastermind
- Call 844-207-7684
- Ask a clear and concise question
- If we choose your question…Email info@ with Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, Email
- Huge thanks to our Partners:
Brownells | Century Arms | Crossbreed | Duracoat | SWAT Fuel
- Tourniquet Saved Life Of Baltimore Police Officer Shot Yesterday, Says Dr. Thomas Scalea Physician-In-Chief At Maryland Shock Trauma Center www.forbes.com
FEATURING: Forbes, SWAT Fuel, Madison Rising, Jarrad Markel, Paul G. Markel, SOTG University
PARTNERS: Brownells Inc, Crossbreed Holsters, Century Arms, SWAT Fuel, DuraCoat Firearm Finishes
FIND US ON: United Gun Group, iHeart Radio, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Google Play, YouTube, Full 30, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, tumblr
One of two police officers shot while trying to arrest a former state corrections officer yesterday in Baltimore was saved by the use of a tourniquet, said Dr. Thomas Scalea, Physician-in Chief at R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center of the University of Maryland.
The officer, who was shot in the leg, had the tourniquet applied by a fellow officer, according to Dr. Scalea.
Tourniquets are strap-like constricting devices which, when applied to an extremity reduce blood flow and consequent blood loss in the setting of penetrating trauma (gunshot or stabbing).
The use of medical grade tourniquets, when applied correctly to a limb, are also an integral part of a campaign known as “Stop the Bleed”. The goal of the campaign, developed by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma in 2012 after the Sandy Hook tragedy, is to teach bleeding control techniques to those in the community, including application of tourniquets.
The Shipping Ogre
Latest posts by The Shipping Ogre (see all)
- PROOF: The Kung Flu was Made and Released Deliberately | SOTG 1191 - May 31st, 2023
- Rick J. Lindsey w/ XINSURANCE & Green Mountain Boys | SOTG 1190 - May 24th, 2023
- What is Combat Accuracy? & American Outdoor News | SOTG 1189 - May 17th, 2023
- Stop The Bleed Month & No Cash, No Liberty, No Guns | SOTG 1188 - May 10th, 2023
- The Hoth Report – Full Series - May 4th, 2023
Good show. I have trained as a cop in the military and as a civilian for thirty-two years. I carried everything from a 44oz. S&W m28 .357 magnum revolver to a Glock m23 .40. I currently carry a Dan Wesson 1911 Vigil CCO .45 acp. (I am retired)The truth is, firearms instructors today grew up in the Glock, polymer framed, striker fired era. Since the polymer framed pistols are easy to train, and maintain, with less time ,classes for instruction, get more and more people in class, generating more revenue. Unfortunately novice gun owners with 1911s show up in these classes with their 1911s, and they do not know how to use them, which bogs classes down. That is why most instructors don’t like them, in class, unless it is a 1911 class. The 1911, as you know, is not a firearm, to be carried, without consistent long term, professional training. Training in using the thumb safety, in condition one, is paramount in it’s use. Nothing wrong with carrying a 1911, or a pistol like a Glock. Dedication in their use, is key.
Yep! You’re a beginner once and a student for life, if you choose to be. To be a Student of the Gun, you must be hungry for more knowledge. No matter what the tool is.
Thanks for listening to the show. Much appreciated.